× Tell us a little about yourself. What do you fly or drive? What are your favorite spots in the area?
Aside from your avatar (forum) name, tell us your name you use in real life.

Welcome to the new BayRC! - Come Say Hello!

More
14 Jul 2017 18:18 #4148 by gsnethen
gsnethen replied the topic: Welcome to the new BayRC! - Come Say Hello!
Hello Everyone!

I've been interested in RC planes since I was a kid and have watched at a few RC airfields, but I've never flown an RC airplane myself.

I'm now a dad with an 11 year-old son and a 10 year-old daughter. I would like to introduce them to the hobby to see if they have any interest. We all have ham radio licenses, which could make for an interesting cross-over between hobbies.

I'd appreciate advice on where we can go to watch, what's allowed and not allowed in the area (e.g., laws & rules that apply to Bay Area residents) and good ways to learn. (We live in Northern Fremont.)

I would be happy to invest in a transmitter and a good starter plane (controllable, reparable and expendable). I've been looking at the Taranis X9D Plus for a transmitter. I'm a software engineer and an amateur radio operator, so an open source radio is appealing to me. However, I'm very much open to advice if there are better options.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

---Gary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MaydayJoey
  • MaydayJoey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Jul 2017 19:24 #4152 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey replied the topic: Welcome to the new BayRC! - Come Say Hello!
Hey there Gary,

There is a new field in Newark that just opened up. I'd suggest checking it out Sat or Sunday before 11am. This is an AMA (insurance) sanctioned field so you'll see some bigger planes there. I believe I will be out there around 9:30am - 12:00.

*some of us* out there can be a good resource to get you started. Plus if you fly at an AMA field (you need the AMA insurance and join the club) you can train with some people out there which avoids the inevitable take off, freak out and crash.

Bayside RC - Newark, Ca

www.baysidercclub.com/

Directions: 7600 Mowry Ave, Newark, CA 94560

Please make sure you introduce yourself in the first thread.
---- Here: bayrc.net/forum/welcome-mat/2-mayday-joe...ome-to-the-new-bayrc

More
14 Jul 2017 21:49 #4154 by gsnethen
Thanks for the info on Bayside RC!

The website says there's a combination lock on the gate to get to the airfield. If we drop by tomorrow morning (Saturday), will we be able to get in to check it out?

---Gary

• RAPTOR1
  • GLIDERS AND ELECTRIC AND SAFETY FIRST
More
15 Jul 2017 05:16 #4155 by RAPTOR1
RAPTOR1 replied the topic: Welcome to the new BayRC! - Come Say Hello!
I am Gene one of the instructors at Bayside RC Someone will be there by 8 Sat and Sun and the gate will be open .Before crossing the runway toot your car horn and look for low flying planes. Go west on Mowry off 880 to the very END take left road . I will be there around 9 and can answer all your questions. You might also look up Dave .

REMEMBER TAKEOFFS ARE OPTIONAL BUT LANDINGS ARE NOT -- HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY DAY -- GENE

More
20 Jul 2017 02:00 #4161 by gsnethen
@MaydayJoey and @RAPTOR1:

I didn't find Bayside R/C Club listed on the AMA website, either by name, by location or by club number (#1411).

Is this a problem with the AMA website or is the club not currently registered with AMA?

---Gary

• RAPTOR1
  • GLIDERS AND ELECTRIC AND SAFETY FIRST
More
20 Jul 2017 06:14 #4162 by RAPTOR1
RAPTOR1 replied the topic: Welcome to the new BayRC! - Come Say Hello!
bayside is a registered club with ama for over 28 years come on out saturday gene i will look into this issue

REMEMBER TAKEOFFS ARE OPTIONAL BUT LANDINGS ARE NOT -- HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY DAY -- GENE

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds