× Tell us a little about yourself. What do you fly or drive? What are your favorite spots in the area?
Aside from your avatar (forum) name, tell us your name you use in real life.

Welcome to the new BayRC! - Come Say Hello!

More
03 Oct 2016 12:19 #3343 by JonathanS
JonathanS replied the topic: Mayday-Joey here! Welcome to the new BayRC!
Hello,
I have signed up for my husband, who wants to learn DLG. I am hoping to give him a starter kit for his birthday but needed advice on what to buy. I was also looking for bay area clubs. Possibly some instruction on getting started. We live in Walnut Creek and have some nice open space around us for easy flying. Thanks for any advice or help!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2016 13:20 #3345 by alstrahm
alstrahm replied the topic: Mayday-Joey here! Welcome to the new BayRC!
welcome, while I am a sailplane guider, I don;t do DLG. there are a few local clubs

www.sbss.org

diablovalleysoaring.weebly.com/flying-site.html

There are a few guys that do DLG at Baylands on occasion, maybe they will chime in. Ido know that entry level comp type DLGs run $700 to $1K. You might want to look at the

www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/a...g-bnf-basic-eflu3150

I have heard good reviews on it for the price. Good luck!

Al

Lets go flying!

More
03 Oct 2016 13:50 - 03 Oct 2016 13:51 #3346 by Don
Don replied the topic: Mayday-Joey here! Welcome to the new BayRC!

JonathanS wrote: Hello,
I have signed up for my husband, who wants to learn DLG. I am hoping to give him a starter kit for his birthday but needed advice on what to buy. I was also looking for bay area clubs. Possibly some instruction on getting started. We live in Walnut Creek and have some nice open space around us for easy flying. Thanks for any advice or help!

When you say "starter kit" are you talking about just a DLG or does he also need all the radio equipment? Also does he have experience building RC planes?
Last Edit: 03 Oct 2016 13:51 by Don.

More
03 Oct 2016 14:13 #3347 by JonathanS
JonathanS replied the topic: Mayday-Joey here! Welcome to the new BayRC!
He would need everything. And has no experience. Is this too complicated or is there a simple way to learn and begin?

More
03 Oct 2016 16:48 #3349 by Don
Don replied the topic: Mayday-Joey here! Welcome to the new BayRC!

JonathanS wrote: He would need everything. And has no experience. Is this too complicated or is there a simple way to learn and begin?

Nope, no real "simple" way just have to start and keep with it. I did little looking around and it appears that DLG pilots may gather at the Pleasanton fairgrounds on the weekends. Best way to start is to check out the local scene.

More
03 Oct 2016 19:54 #3351 by JureZ
JureZ replied the topic: Welcome to the new BayRC! - Come Say Hello!
Hello,

I also live in walnut Creek, and would have no problem in assisting your husband.
It seems that you are very interested in DLG, but may be I would suggest to start with some powered electric glider, like the Radian or similar.

I do some slope gliding at Shell Ridge (near Indian Valley Elementary School)

and also fly electric planes in Moraga

you may contact me via private message if interested in meeting to fly in Walnut Creek or nearby.

Jure Z.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonathanS

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds