× Tell us a little about yourself. What do you fly or drive? What are your favorite spots in the area?
Aside from your avatar (forum) name, tell us your name you use in real life.

Hello from San Mateo

More
06 Oct 2016 20:13 #3374 by kyle
kyle replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I drove out to Baylands last night to scope out the drive and see what it was like around there, and it looks pretty good. I've been feeling pretty down lately because San Mateo is so cramped and I grew up half on a farm, half in a lightly populated suburb. Glad to see there's still some places around that are more open.

I'm also planning on moving to Fremont or Newark in February, and it looks like I'll have even more options then.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2016 08:13 - 07 Oct 2016 08:15 #3376 by MGorden
MGorden replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo

kyle wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I drove out to Baylands last night to scope out the drive and see what it was like around there, and it looks pretty good. I've been feeling pretty down lately because San Mateo is so cramped and I grew up half on a farm, half in a lightly populated suburb. Glad to see there's still some places around that are more open.

I'm also planning on moving to Fremont or Newark in February, and it looks like I'll have even more options then.

Yeah when you move to Fremont or Newark there is a r/c club close by over there. It's in Union City and the link is below:

www.sacrc.org/

As usual though just so you know, if you want to fly at r/c clubs you have to have AMA membership to fly. Some clubs let you fly as a guest and at specific number of visits unless you're a member of that specific club. All clubs are different in regards to guest flying so you may want to check into that before hand so you're prepared.

BTW, what is Baylands? Is that the Bedwell park in Menlo Park or is that something different.
Last Edit: 07 Oct 2016 08:15 by MGorden.

More
07 Oct 2016 08:29 #3377 by JureZ
JureZ replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo
do not know Baylands?

FYI maps and pics:

link to Baylands
Attachments:

More
07 Oct 2016 15:39 #3381 by kml
kml replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo
I've built a couple of FliteTest planes out of foamboard, and the cutting is definitely the annoying part -- how expensive is it to buy a laser cutter? Are there services around here that'd be cheap enough to make it worthwhile?

More
07 Oct 2016 16:24 #3382 by kyle
kyle replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo
I got mine for $330 shipped (from Oakland, no less!) but it's not really what you'd want for FliteTest planes. It can only handle about a 12" by 8" part, and I think even FT's smallest planes have parts bigger than that. Then again, it's useful for cutting control horns and firewalls...

And even with the laser cutter, I have a lot of respect for those guys and what they're able to do. I have not yet successfully cut foamboard on mine. It either catches fire and melts a huge hole, or it doesn't cut all the way through. Very fine balance there; having air-assist would help.

Ponoko is based out of Oakland and does laser cutting. They seem like a cool group from what I can tell; maybe you could arrange a pickup to save shipping and handling. They charge by the laser minute, but most of FT's designs are smooth and keep the cutter moving. It might be worth it, it might not. FT's pretty much got cheap foamboard cutting in the bag.

Getting off topic here, but I did actually order an air-assist nozzle... but USPS never got it to me. That was a few weeks ago. They also lost a shipment of infrared LEDs on cut-tape a week later. Where do I complain about this? The local branch emailed me after I filed a complaint and basically just said "thanks." Bah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kml

More
07 Oct 2016 18:57 #3383 by kml
kml replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo
It does sound like a cool device.

I mostly want to cut larger stuff, both foamboard and fabric (for kites). Maybe I ought to look into the die cut machines that scrapbookers use? Even those are pretty narrow, so it may be that I stick with an X-Acto knife for awhile. :-)

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds