× Tell us a little about yourself. What do you fly or drive? What are your favorite spots in the area?
Aside from your avatar (forum) name, tell us your name you use in real life.

Hello from San Mateo

More
05 Oct 2016 20:24 #3368 by kyle
kyle created the topic: Hello from San Mateo
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm a programmer living in the Bay area! What a surprise!

I'm originally from Missouri and moved here in February this year for a job at a game company whose game I've been playing since I was 12 or so. I've been building foamboard planes since I got here and now I own a laser cutter and am building a balsa/plywood plane. I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but the process is fun.

I came here in hopes of finding wisdom on where to fly around here. I have a car, but I don't often have the time to go very far, so I'm mostly on the lookout for places on the peninsula. From what I've seen, San Mateo is way too dense and I don't feel comfortable flying in any sort of populated area...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2016 21:54 #3369 by Busch
Busch replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo
Hola Kyle,

I'm Josh.. came here from Chicago last year for my employer, as well... was never into rc before that and now I've amassed a collection of 14 or 15 planes and jets, not including the hordes of quads and helis. I'm in Sunnyvale, though.. it's not too far a drive from you. There are two very good places to fly here, as well as numerous parks for smaller planes. I would recommend Rancho San Antonio #1 for your location, since it's right off 280 and probably 25-30 minutes away. Baylands is great, but if you're fairly new to the hobby you'll probably end up like I did and break a ton of landing gear on the grass before saying, "Screw this, I'm only flying belly landers out here." Rancho is hard ground/dirt and easy to land any plane on, though you can't fly quads, helis, or edf jets there.

I did hear there is a small college with a large parking lot that people fly from near you, though... the bass player in my band told me about it, so I'll ask him next practice where it was and maybe report back if I remember.

Good luck!

More
05 Oct 2016 22:16 #3370 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo
Welcome!

Ask away!

Also, Baylands is a great place to meet people and ask for help when needed.

Please make sure you introduce yourself in the first thread.
---- Here: bayrc.net/forum/welcome-mat/2-mayday-joe...ome-to-the-new-bayrc

More
06 Oct 2016 08:40 #3371 by MGorden
MGorden replied the topic: Hello from San Mateo
Hi Kyle,

Mitch here. Glad to meet you on the forum. With the stuff you've mentioned that you build and fly, I'd say you have a lot more options for places to fly. A number of years back I used to fly at Sierra Point in Brisbane and it appears from what I've been reading here and there on the internet, they are still flying there these days. Another place I used to fly at a number of years back also was at the Canada college. I'm sure that's the college referenced. Back then though we would fly in the southeast lot, but from what the guys I keep in touch with have been saying, the college built housing in that lot now so the only place campus security will allow you fly now is in Lot #6. Since you're in San Mateo, that college and Sierra Point in Brisbane would be the most convenient for you.

I'm curious, if you end up flying at any of those places, report back on how it was. I may make a special trip out to one or both of them to do a little flying again.

More
06 Oct 2016 10:41 #3372 by Busch
That was indeed the area I was told about. I checked on Google Maps to make sure. I might head out there sometime, too, since it doesn't sound like they have any rules about jets and quads like they do at Rancho and, from what I understand, the parking lot is your landing strip, right? Always nice to have a flat, paved area to land on!

More
06 Oct 2016 10:54 - 06 Oct 2016 10:55 #3373 by Busch
Last Edit: 06 Oct 2016 10:55 by Busch.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds