Coyote Hills site info.

More
28 Nov 2014 10:24 - 28 Nov 2014 16:03 #682 by Don
Don created the topic: Coyote Hills site info.
Nice to see a local website with a forum devoted to Coyote Hills.

I'll start this thread with a photo of the flying area and brief description. There are no official club or site rules but there is some "loose" etiquette that most folks do follow. Flyers should note that the Regional Park prohibits DS'ing at this flying site. There are several hills in the park and I have, at one time or another, flown off most of them. My photo just shows the main flying site. There are several trails that lead up from the different parking areas but most flyers park in the overflow lot for the visitors center and either walk the wide fire road around and up or take the "glider hill" trail.

For more information about the park go to: www.ebparks.org/parks/coyote_hills

Legend for photo:
Blue arc: Defines the back edge of the frontside "bowl" lift zone and flying area
Green oval: Defines the "big hill" flight line (where most stand while flying)
Red oval: Defines the landing zone (I also like to launch from here since if anything goes wrong most are out of the crash path)
Yellow oval: Defines the lower or "little hill" where many like to fly when wind is more northerly.
Big black arrow: Shows the prefered WNW wind direction. Most fly from the big hill when the wind is W or WNW.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2014 16:03 by Don.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2014 19:17 #685 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey replied the topic: Coyote Hills site info.
Here is a link to Google maps: goo.gl/maps/vgq7w

Don thank you for adding the info!

As a side note, this is 2 miles from my house and I haven't gone yet!

Please make sure you introduce yourself in the first thread.
---- Here: bayrc.net/forum/welcome-mat/2-mayday-joe...ome-to-the-new-bayrc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don

More
01 Dec 2014 16:57 #710 by mitchb
mitchb replied the topic: Coyote Hills site info.
Coyote Hills is strictly for gliders. Motorized airplanes and helicopters are not permitted.

Mitch

More
01 Dec 2014 17:31 - 01 Dec 2014 17:32 #712 by Haoyang Wang
Haoyang Wang replied the topic: Coyote Hills site info.
Welcome to Glider Hill! Powered planes are ok, so long as you don't actually put motors in them. (Both pictures were taken at Coyote Hills.)

In winter, the wind is unpredictable. The best guesses are usually posted here .

When summer comes, this is the place to fly for every afternoons!

Attachments:
Last Edit: 01 Dec 2014 17:32 by Haoyang Wang. Reason: picture layout

More
01 Dec 2014 18:00 - 01 Dec 2014 18:02 #714 by Don
Don replied the topic: Coyote Hills site info.

mitchb wrote: Coyote Hills is strictly for gliders. Motorized airplanes and helicopters are not permitted.

Mitch

Mitch- Excellent point. Nothing with motorized propulsion (including quads, etc.) allowed. This park is much more crowded with day hikers than it was 35 years ago when I first started going there. The dry months pose very high fire danger so even a regular glider with NiMh or similar flight pack, that shorts out in a crash, can become a big issue. I encourage all flyers to respect the hikers and be very conservative since I fear the slightest mishap could jeopardize our ability to keep flying there.

Haoyang- Awesome planes!
Last Edit: 01 Dec 2014 18:02 by Don.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds