Is Baylands banning RC?

More
07 Jul 2016 16:42 #3001 by parky
parky replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
That was apparently up last weekend. It was up when I was there on Tuesday.

Has anyone tried talking with Moffett or SJC towers yet? The 2012 FAA reauthorization law (i.e. passed by Congress, signed by President) says the requirement is to NOTIFY, not receive permission, but suggests a mutual agreement for a site with repeated use.

Bob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2016 17:36 #3002 by gooniac
gooniac replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
The towers have been called several times over the years... and we always get the same response... WTF are you calling us for? Are you on our grounds or within our traffic pattern? Please don't call here anymore you are not in our way....

If anything we are being a pain to them. If they even answer...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moybzz

More
08 Jul 2016 21:53 - 08 Jul 2016 21:54 #3004 by Jorgito
Jorgito replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
Like I said before the guys who fly drone should find another place to fly their Toy all this happen because of the drones I'm going to give you some examples on T.V. Kron 4 new they have this segment call people behaving bad and they video tape a guy flying a drone I think in Golden Gate park or Golden Gate Bridge there was a sign of DO NOT FLY DRONES but the guy do not give a ...........and fly anyway at Bay Lands the drone guys cause A fire and last week on the radio news they were talking about a big fire I think in Santa Rosa or Santa Ana do not remember but that is not important the problem was that The coast guard have to cancel the flight of tanker airplane you know the one drop a lot of water over a fire because some guys were FLYING DRONES can you believe fire department or coast guard not be able to do their job just because some guy or guys who want to fly their toy this are just a few samples of what I saw on T,V. or listen on radio news when a person buy a drone he also should by some pills of common sense I think Bay Lands is safer place for every body with out drones
Last Edit: 08 Jul 2016 21:54 by Jorgito.

More
09 Jul 2016 06:19 - 09 Jul 2016 06:23 #3005 by Sky Dragon
Sky Dragon replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?

Jorgito wrote: Like I said before the guys who fly drone should find another place to fly their Toy all this happen because of the drones I'm going to give you some examples on T.V. Kron 4 new they have this segment call people behaving bad and they video tape a guy flying a drone I think in Golden Gate park or Golden Gate Bridge there was a sign of DO NOT FLY DRONES but the guy do not give a ...........and fly anyway at Bay Lands the drone guys cause A fire and last week on the radio news they were talking about a big fire I think in Santa Rosa or Santa Ana do not remember but that is not important the problem was that The coast guard have to cancel the flight of tanker airplane you know the one drop a lot of water over a fire because some guys were FLYING DRONES can you believe fire department or coast guard not be able to do their job just because some guy or guys who want to fly their toy this are just a few samples of what I saw on T,V. or listen on radio news when a person buy a drone he also should by some pills of common sense I think Bay Lands is safer place for every body with out drones

To be fair, I have seen a guy crash his plane into a wetlands at Baylands Park several times and almost started a big fire. This is one of the reasons why they don't want RC planes and drones flying over the wetlands. RC planes can be just as bad as a drone if the person use common sense and fly responsible. Matter of fact, I have seen more RC plane crash than a drone a lot more unless they are doing drone racing.
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2016 06:23 by Sky Dragon.

More
09 Jul 2016 15:17 - 09 Jul 2016 15:17 #3007 by kirby_
kirby_ replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?

gooniac wrote: The towers have been called several times over the years... and we always get the same response... WTF are you calling us for? Are you on our grounds or within our traffic pattern? Please don't call here anymore you are not in our way....

If anything we are being a pain to them. If they even answer...

I called both numbers on the sign today. SJC didn't pick up, I left a message. Someone at Moffett did pick up. I said I was going to fly a remote controlled model at Baylands Park and there was a sign saying I should notify them. He then asked if I had an FAA reg number on the plane, then asked for my FAA number, name, and phone number, which I gave him.

Formerly username 'kirby'
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2016 15:17 by kirby_.

More
10 Jul 2016 21:24 #3009 by RC18
RC18 replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
Oh yes the city park manager is friendly.

I called Moffett last week Tuesday and talked to the control tower person, he was surprise to get a call and just said OK. I also Called SJC FAA Tower and got an answering machine. Good no hassle morning.

On Thursday i called the SJC FAA Tower and a person picked up. It was verified that everyone must call and provide your name, FAA registration number, aircraft description, max altitude (no more than 400 ft), contact phone number and when you leave a call back to saying you are leaving. She sounded serious about the rules. Rules are rules and the FAA does things by the rules so they have to give permission to everyone just like they would have to do with every aircraft. She was rather pointed when Mike called without his registration number. She was friendly when I called and gave the information she requested, quite talkative as well.

Oh and the FAA person said she had get permission from the tower manager so from SJC FAA's perspective it is their airspace and we just have to do what they say. So just to repeat, SJC FAA says we are within 5 miles so they have absolute control over the airspace. Forget about the just notify wording. Just think of it as the FAA is right, don't argue and who are we to question the FAA.

From the earlier posting it seems like Moffett is now following SJC's procedure and taking the information down.

At this point I am going to call SJC all the time and Moffett as well. I think for Moffett it is a pain but they need to follow the FAA rules. For SJC they own the air so submit and comply.

So if we call and they get tire of us calling they can write up an agreement/exception and everything is good. If we don't call, they then can site the lack of people calling as a reason to shutting Baylands down.

Ron

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds