Is Baylands banning RC?

• MaydayJoey
  • MaydayJoey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Jun 2016 22:15 #2928 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey created the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
This question was originally raised by Bobfly5, his post was flagged by the filters (probably the PDF attachment) and for some reason it won't let me unflag. Sorry Bobfly5!

Bobfly5 mentioned people were talking about Baylands closing access to RC flying and whether anybody had heard about it

Please make sure you introduce yourself in the first thread.
---- Here: bayrc.net/forum/welcome-mat/2-mayday-joe...ome-to-the-new-bayrc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MaydayJoey
  • MaydayJoey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Jun 2016 22:20 #2930 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
That being said I personally have no heard anything EXCEPT there are new signs on the nature preserve fence, I would assume this is probably what people are talking about.

The sign states there are no UAVs allowed, but agian to be clear this is in the nature preserve area and not Baylands.

I'm going to try to call the park on Monday/Tuesday and see if they can tell me anything.

Please make sure you introduce yourself in the first thread.
---- Here: bayrc.net/forum/welcome-mat/2-mayday-joe...ome-to-the-new-bayrc

More
18 Jun 2016 22:34 #2931 by Sky Dragon
Sky Dragon replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
I heard it have something to do with drone racing on weekdays and some hiker file a complaint to the city council of drones flying too aggressive or very fast. They got the information from the park maintence person cleaning up the picnic table this morning. I think it happen on Friday that cause this to happen.

More
20 Jun 2016 12:52 #2936 by gooniac
gooniac replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
the sign was not made by the city. it looks like it was made by someone at home.

There is no CVC code and it is misspelled... the city lawyers wouldn't allow that...

More
23 Jun 2016 17:47 #2950 by ccsj
ccsj replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
Those signs were put up by the park workers.

The Sunnyvale park super attendant came by the park today and spoke to us around 130PM. He mentioned that he was alerted by email that someone was throwing rock and pulling down tree branches while trying to retrieve their drone stuck in the tree and urged him to come check out. It was actually a plane that was stuck in the tree and I was there while the two guys were trying to get it down. The two guys used slingshot with string and a few times the weight got stuck in the tree and some small branches fell down in the process. They were very conscious of pedestrian and always stop while people were walking by and made sure it was safe before they resume. I thought from safety perspective they did everything right. I’m not sure if the complaint was because of the branches being pulled down or possibly the strings left stuck in the trees or both. There are a lot of strings including kite strings on that tree.

When the park super attendant got there, I already had the race track set up with gates/flags in the usual area - center of the field nowhere near the walk path in any direction. He got to see for himself the area of the track and how we fly and he agreed that how we set up was safe and did not post danger to anyone. However, he asked us to self-police and spread the words as not everyone may fly the way we do.

The park super attendant mentioned that the guy who emailed him to come out today is the ONLY person who has been complaining to him about RC flying at Baylands. The specific complains are
1) Flying too close to people and also the flight path approaching people. He said that whatever you fly can continue on its path if you lose radio link.
2) Flying over environmental protected area – do not fly over the fence where the signs are posted. He stressed this to us a few times. Some endangered owl species live there and flying over in that area is a no-no even if you are a good pilot and never crash out there.

He said the city will put up more signs to bring more awareness of these concerns. He also mentioned to us a few times that he does not think banning RC at Baylands is the solution and we all need to work together as a community.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: nagilum, thomas_rs

More
23 Jun 2016 18:24 #2951 by nagilum
nagilum replied the topic: Is Baylands banning RC?
Thanks for speaking to the park super, that is my plane stuck up there. The guy with the slingshot was an upstanding citizen, he spent an hour of his time trying to get my plane down, even though I had never met him before.

It's funny, most of the people walking by while were were doing it wished us luck on the retrieval. No one asked us to stop.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds