Open Discussion: 2017 Donation for Baylands - Pickleweed Rental. Let's Come Up With New Ideas to Raise Funds

• MaydayJoey
  • MaydayJoey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Oct 2016 10:57 #3470 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey created the topic: Open Discussion: 2017 Donation for Baylands - Pickleweed Rental. Let's Come Up W
Hi All, (Read the entire post before commenting!)

So it's time to start thinking about how to fund Pickleweed rental next year. The last two years went well but weren't without their hiccups and I'd like to open a discussion for finding new ways to fund the rentals.
First
Why were we renting to begin with?
Because in the past few years there had been a dramatic increase in Bayland picnic area rentals and it was becoming a pain to have to move if somebody rented Pickleweed 1/2. Renting PW 1 helps ensure we have a place to stage.

What rights does renting PW 1 grant us?
One thing and one thing only, guaranteed use of that rented picnic area, and that accompanying BBQ pit, which gives us a central location to congregate every Sunday and provides power. Note that this means it does not reserve parking spaces or the field at which we fly.

As a donator what do I get? And What don't I get?
This is a good question, basically this is an open pool donation for those who feel they want to contribute to the group of flyers who want to have Pickleweed 1 as a central location. Donations ensure we see this happen weekend to weekend, month to month for the seasons rented. Because this is a community effort donations are simply donations and do not grant donators any special privileges.
-- "Why not? I paid money" --
I get this question almost once a month. The simple answer is, because. I understand it would be nice for people to get perks' from donating but there isn't any real way to do so, if 30+ people donate how could you possibly give everybody a perk, you can't. You donate as a community effort for OUR hobby and our fellow flyers. If it helps about 1/2 the people who donate don't fly every weekend or even every month, but they donate because they like to see us have a place to excel.

What should we discuss?

The last two years there has been a lot of conflict with donating and even a small drop in the number of donations. Nobody wants to push people to donate, it's not fun and if people aren't excited to contribute then I don't want to poke needlessly with a stick! I've rented month to month as months (or weeks) filled up. 2015 season we made every weekend except the last month (actually 3 weeks of the last month). I still want people to donate but I'd like to come up with ideas as a community for more ways to drive the funds. I honestly think as a hive mind we could eliminate the need for our of pocket donations and work more toward help based fund raising.

How is this different?
Here's the idea:
- Ask for donations through local businesses, charities, etc.
- Raise funds through events and donation boxes.
- And other avenues we can discuss.
- Seasonal clothes sales, that's right, Let's makes some awesome clothes to sell. Chaps, whips, ball........ wait I mean shirts, sweaters, hats etc.

Sound like a good idea, good, because this is where you can help
Honestly, this is where everybody can help out, Rather than forking out a donation out of pocket you can help by contributing time during events, reach out to businesses, contribute ideas.

So lets start with that, I want your open and honest opinions.* see below for warning :woohoo:

!! WARNING !!
This discussion will remain on topic! This is a community that emcompasses ALL types of pilots as a community regardless of what they fly, please keep on topic, seriously I will without warning delete off topic comments. The donations, effort and rental if for the entire community of flyers. Seriously if you don't want to contribute to this discussion for the entire communities benefit then save it.

Please make sure you introduce yourself in the first thread.
---- Here: bayrc.net/forum/welcome-mat/2-mayday-joe...ome-to-the-new-bayrc
The following user(s) said Thank You: kml

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MaydayJoey
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Oct 2016 10:57 - 07 Nov 2016 17:29 #3471 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey replied the topic: Open Discussion: 2017 Donation for Baylands - Pickleweed Rental. Let's Come Up W
What does it cost to rent
$85 per side, per day.
So that's:
26 Sundays between April through Sept.
85x26=$2210

*From Baylands Park's website
"From March through October there is a single car entry fee of $6.00" - This is the same time period they take money for picnic rentals. We don't reserve the first and last month of the paid season as it's not busy.

We've almost always only rented Pickleweed 1 (left side) unless we had an event then we rented both sides. But if the funds a accommodate it would be much better to rent both sides.

Last Edit: 07 Nov 2016 17:29 by MaydayJoey.

• MaydayJoey
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Oct 2016 10:58 #3472 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey replied the topic: Open Discussion: 2017 Donation for Baylands - Pickleweed Rental. Let's Come Up W
Reserved

• MaydayJoey
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Oct 2016 11:07 - 24 Oct 2016 11:19 #3473 by MaydayJoey
I will be posting my own personal comments here, separate from the above posts. I have ideas I'd like to contribute soon.

Events:
- Raffle event, members and businesses contribute to the raffle and we charge a "minimum donation" for the raffle. This was a great success at the last Fly-in
- Obviously BBQ fund raising
- Competitions, charge an entry fee

Last Edit: 24 Oct 2016 11:19 by MaydayJoey.

More
24 Oct 2016 11:25 #3474 by gooniac
gooniac replied the topic: Open Discussion: 2017 Donation for Baylands - Pickleweed Rental. Let's Come Up W
If the weather holds out I will be able to get peoples attention with the PA system at the next BBQ on Oct.30th. I can donate a portion from the BBQ to the reservation fund as well. But keeping it as simple as possible is the best. And now that there will be open season with no reservations we can do more of the impromptu BBQ's and donate some of that money to the fund....

More
03 Nov 2016 12:38 #3502 by gooniac
gooniac replied the topic: Open Discussion: 2017 Donation for Baylands - Pickleweed Rental. Let's Come Up W
I am still accepting donations of new or like new used parts, accessories, planes etc for the raffle on sunday! I have already put in lot of my stuff and some others have stepped up as well. Anyone else want to help out?

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds