Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park

More
02 Jun 2015 22:37 #1496 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
Hey Mitch thanks for the update!

Please make sure you introduce yourself in the first thread.
---- Here: bayrc.net/forum/welcome-mat/2-mayday-joe...ome-to-the-new-bayrc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2015 01:58 #1573 by waterjerome
waterjerome replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
Anyone have an update? Did any Parks division board members come to check out the scene as they said they would? Anyone been in contact with the city or the friends of Bedwell? Was this just a behind the scenes push by the friends with cover from the SCAPA and FAA? Who hates us; who loves us; how's this shaking out?

More
24 Jun 2015 09:33 #1576 by Pete Lane
Pete Lane replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
Flying at 2600 feet or 2.6 feet is just wreck less ?.

Plane ~

More
26 Jun 2015 23:07 #1596 by mitchb
mitchb replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
I have heard that the Parks and Recreation Commission of Menlo Park will put this issue on the agenda of their September meeting. In the meantime they are studying the issue. It's not clear what that entails. A suggestion was made by a commissioner at the meeting in May that a survey of park users might be useful, but I haven't heard if there's been any progress on that front.

If you fly at Bayfront and a passerby stops to ask questions about your models, please let them know that the City is considering a ban on RC model aircraft, and encourage them to contact the City if they would like RC to continue at the park.

Mitch
The following user(s) said Thank You: waterjerome

More
28 Jun 2015 23:42 #1603 by Ray Lionel
Ray Lionel replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
Wondering, I was out there last weekend and flew my drone with three drones in Bayfront park.

More
06 Oct 2015 00:21 #2084 by ripglade
ripglade replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
I found the recommendations from the meeting minutes . It is still undecided:

Staff recommends the following questions to assist in guiding the Commission discussion:
1. Does the Commission have sufficient information to come to a decision on UAS usage at Bedwell-Bayfront
Park? And, if not, what other questions or additional information does the Commission
require?
2. What role would the Commission like to have if the issue continues to move forward?
3. How would the Commission like to proceed on the issue of UAS usage at Bedwell-Bayfront Park?
Some options may include:
• Proposing a recommendation to the City Council on a ban of UAS at the Park with adequate regulation
and enforcement of Municipal Code.
• Proposing new regulations and restrictions to the City Council on UAS usage at the Park with
adequate regulation and enforcement of Municipal Code.
• Taking no action on this issue at this time.

I've been trying to watch this closely as I just got into the hobby and have nowhere to practice. It's no wonder Bayfront is under threat -- there's seemingly nowhere else to fly.

I'll also never understand how a citizen's letter to the city council advising it is "Not necessary to prohibit them" turns into a proposal to prohibit them is beyond me and sounds like a certain TV show starring Amy Poehler.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: waterjerome

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds