Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park

More
07 Dec 2016 11:08 #3598 by MGorden
MGorden replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
I highly doubt very much AMA will get involved in this nor will it matter one way or the other if AMA does. For AMA to get involved, AMA would have to have a field at that location. AMA does not have a field there and I highly doubt the city of Menlo Park will allow AMA to open up a field in their park.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2016 13:06 #3607 by brybart
brybart replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
Good point, we should also see if the manufacturers can help with any facts and strategies to keep a flying area open.

More
27 Oct 2017 07:11 #4286 by mitchb
mitchb replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
The Master Plan process for Bayfront Park is coming to a close. The idea of designating an area at the park for small hand-launched, non-motorized RC gliders was rejected by the City staff based on the responses to their community surveys (survey results were split ~ 50:50). On Wednesday evening the Parks and Rec Commission voted down by 4 to 3 a motion to add a designated hand-launch glider flying area to the park Master Plan. The City Council will meet on November 14th at 7 PM to vote on a motion to approve the Master Plan as submitted by City staff.

I've done everything I could think of to get the City to allow small, non-motorized hand-launched RC gliders inside the big meadow area, including putting together a thorough report about the hobby as it pertains to Bayfront Park, as well as spending 30 mornings in the park this year petitioning for gliders (208 people filled out a petition, and many wrote comments in strong support).

I'll be at the City Council meeting and use my 3-minutes as best I can to have the Council members reconsider the total ban, but I am not hopeful. The meeting is November 14, 2017 at 7:00 pm in the City Council Chambers
701 Laurel St., Menlo Park.

Mitch

More
27 Oct 2017 08:48 #4287 by Hallwoo610
Hallwoo610 replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
a sign marked, NO MOTORIZED AIRCRAFT ALLOWED and CITATION TICKET will be issued should be sufficient for self-policing the area, after all, Meno Park is a CIVILIZED area

should one forget

if You should see someone doing other-wise, remind them of the penalty and possible lost of flying area

More
27 Oct 2017 09:57 #4288 by DeanC
DeanC replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
Coyote Hill Park allows non-motor R/C gliders. Has anyone contacted them for input as to how it has worked out over the years? They are part of the East Bay Regional Parks District as I recall, and people have been flying there since the 1990s.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds