Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park

More
06 Oct 2015 07:57 #2085 by MaydayJoey
MaydayJoey replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
Thank you for the update.

Please make sure you introduce yourself in the first thread.
---- Here: bayrc.net/forum/welcome-mat/2-mayday-joe...ome-to-the-new-bayrc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2015 10:41 - 09 Oct 2015 10:42 #2096 by Haoyang Wang
Haoyang Wang replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
Attachments:
Last Edit: 09 Oct 2015 10:42 by Haoyang Wang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ripglade

More
09 Oct 2015 13:50 #2098 by ripglade
ripglade replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
I don't know any of y'all, but as I'm just getting back into R/C after many years I'd hate to see the nearest area to fly be closed down. So I wrote a letter to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Feel free to copy+paste send for yourself.

To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Support for remote controlled aircraft at Bayfront Park in Menlo Park
===========
Dear Menlo Park City Council Members,

I am a resident of Belmont, a model aircraft enthusiast, a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, and a proponent of safe flying practices. While I am not a resident of Menlo Park, I appreciate what the Bayfront Park offers to our communities. I also appreciate the willingness of both the Council and the community to consider a compromise that seeks both to preserve the park's environment and its fulfill mission to serve the community.

As radio controlled aircraft have gained in popularity, access to nearby safe flying fields on the Peninsula has dwindled. After the closure of Bayside R/C Club (Fremont) in 2010[1], the number of sanctioned Peninsula flying fields that welcome many types of aircraft fell to zero, leading to a rise in park flying at Bayfront and other community parks. Currently operational (private) fields exist in Morgan Hill[2] and Half Moon Bay[3], but the residents on the Peninsula have no sanctioned public or private safe flying fields.

Prohibiting remote control aircraft activities at Bayfront will undoubtedly lead to a less safe community for the following reasons:
* Rather than cause a discontinuance of their hobby activities, the lack of a safe flying field will cause hobbyists to practice on high school football fields, playgrounds, parking lots, and other parks available to them. This may increase hazards to many more areas, place additional distributed enforcement responsibilities on officers, and increase risk exposure to children. This impact reaches beyond the city limits of Menlo Park and should be a concern for all surrounding areas.
* The lack of a safe flying field in the region will prevent responsible enthusiasts from mentoring beginners through safe flight operations, as experienced members at flying fields have facilitated for decades. Reducing availability of educational opportunities increases the number of untrained and undisciplined hobbyists in our communities.
* The lack of a safe flying field will prevent enthusiasts (both beginners and experienced) to practice and improve their flying skills. Reducing the availability of safe practice areas will limit the skill of hobbyists in our communities, increasing the risk of accidents.

I encourage the Council to consider all the effects of their decision. It is clear to me that prohibition or severe limitations on hobbyist activities at Bayfront will:
* decrease enforceability of laws that already exist,
* decrease hobbyist education and safety
* increase accident rates

I would like to register my support for creating a safe flying area at Bayfront as described by Silas Kwok in the Mercury News[4]:
"Kwok said he is part of 'an informal group' of about 20 hobbyists who are crafting potential rules for the park that would increase that distance to 100 feet. The group also suggests crafts weigh no more than 10 pounds, no model exceed 80 decibels, no craft be flown around trees and that each UAV user pay $100 a year for a permit. The hobbyists are seeking a specific area of the park to call their own and say they are open to specific times and days of operation."

Thank you for engaging with the community and seeking a safe, inclusive solution.

Best Regards,
Kevin Hunt

1 - www.baysidercclub.com/club-info/
2 - www.sccmas.org/
3 - www.flypcc.org/
4 - www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_28939049/men...edwell-bayfront-park

More
09 Oct 2015 22:25 #2102 by mitchb
mitchb replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
It's painfully evident from the photo above that I will not launch anywhere near the 400-ft limit with my wimpy throwing technique. Here are some serious DLG launches worth a look (same discus launch glider called "Snipe" from Vladimir's Models in Ukraine):

I've heard that the print version of the article has the following question:

“Do you think the use of model aircraft should be banned at Bedwell Bayfront Park? Why or why not? And you can send your answer to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. "

If you write an e-mail response, please keep in mind that some of the objections raised to RC model aircraft at the park are legitimate: annoying buzzing sounds that detract from the natural setting, models directly overhead, and quadcopters flying at eyeball level near the walking paths.

Mitch

Mitch

More
12 Oct 2015 14:25 #2120 by RC_Bob
RC_Bob replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
I saw the Mercury news article too. Recognized it immediately.

I'll definitely be writing to the paper as well as the city. I agree with a lot of what Kevin said in his letter. Thanks Kevin!

One thing that's maybe worth keeping in mind (though I know that many of us have day jobs during the week) is that during certain times on the weekdays the park is very empty since most folks are at work. Not to say that there's nobody at all on the trails, but for the most part it's very clear. I like to fly my edfs around this time.

More
22 Oct 2015 12:25 #2163 by waterjerome
waterjerome replied the topic: Menlo Park looking to impose a ban on drones at Bedwell Bayfront Park
So who all are part of the group mentioned in this article?

... "an informal group" of about 20 hobbyists who are crafting potential rules for the park...
www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_28939049/men...edwell-bayfront-park

I spoke at the parks meeting in May and I would like to see and discuss what is being proposed. Where is this conversation taking place?

Please contact me.

Thanks,
Jerome

Time to create page: 0.333 seconds